Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Head Games

My upline (who is also my mom, I mentioned I've been a Shaklee Kid all my life, right?) sent me this email, and I really liked it, so I thought I'd share:

I have found I move ahead faster when I play head games with myself. One example is walking mailboxes: the game is to walk one more mailbox a day each day, no matter what. I've done this several times and have ended up walking good long distances.

When we first picked up Shaklee again in 1996, I played a couple of games. First we were traveling and staying in campgrounds, so I decided to talk to 5 strangers a day, not about Shaklee but up to the point in the conversation where I asked them not only what they did but whether they were happy with doing it. Later when we were settled in our sabbatical location in a town where we knew no one, I decided to talk to one new person a day to see if I could get a business card or an appointment. We grew to director our first month there, our third month in the business.

I took this one stranger a day to the limit: when I went on a Shaklee trip that fall, I managed to talk to one new person at the hotel where all the Shaklee people were staying, and in the shuttle and so on. While all the other leaders were sitting in the cafeteria having coffee, I was out in the lobby looking for someone to get a business card from.

So head games have served me well. In fact, I can also say that without them, I tend to drift quite a bit, even when I have a big goal firmly in mind.

So I need some new head games for myself, and I thought I'd share what I've come up with as possibilities:

1. I will talk to X new people each day. Not necessarily about Shaklee, just talk to them.
2. I will talk to X people about Shaklee.
3. I will ask X Shaklee members for referrals.
4. I will ask X Shaklee members to order something new that they haven't tried before.
5. I will get X Shaklee members on autoship each day/week/month.
6. I will get a list of insurance agents / real estate agents / other and call X of them each day to try to set an appt to look at the Dream Plan.
7. I will have X new appointments each day / week.
8. I will go on a driving / walking tour of the businesses in my town / city and stop in at X of them each day to get face recognition.
9. I will pass X referrals to local business people that I have made for their services (example: your neighbor needs her carpet cleaned, and you tell the local carpet cleaner)
10. I will volunteer at an event where I don't know anyone (or very few people)
11. I will clean desks in X classrooms a day / week / month. (Thanks for the idea, Toni!)
12. I will call my members to ask who their insurance / real estate / child's teacher is and ask if I can use their name and tell their story X times a day / week / month.
13. I will ask my members if they know anyone who has cholesterol issues X times a day / week / month....

OK, that's a lucky 13 of them. You get the idea. Which ones do you like? What can you add to this list? Which games have you decided to play?

I am assuming you already have your goal in place, such as 'next rank by Oct 31', 'car by February', 'Bora Bora', 'iPad', '$5000 / month from Shaklee', etc. These head games are to support those goals. Dr. Shaklee said 'See the people'. These head games are there to help us do that without having to rethink what we should do each day.

Put a time limit on them, such as 'for the rest of 2010'. Or 'for the rest of September'. And see what it does. I guarantee your business will grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment